10 Ways DGA Can Assist a Contractor with Tendering
Tendering is expensive and can be risky – here is how we can help
1. WEIGH UP YOUR CLIENT BEFORE COMMITTING TO SUBMITTING A TENDER – CAN YOU WORK WITH THEM?
How DGA can help you: we can accompany the builder on an initial site visit and offer a second opinion
2. HAVE A LOOK AT THE CONTRACT CONDITIONS – IS THERE A FORMAL CONTRACT?
How DGA can help you: if there is a contract proposed, we can look over to ensure it is fair to the contractor
3. IS THERE A RETENTION PROPOSED ?
How DGA can help you: normally 5% with 2.5% released on completion. DGA can check this to make sure standard terms are adhered to .
4. ARE LIQUIDATED DAMAGES PROPOSED ? ARE THE RATES REASONABLE ?
How DGA can help you: must be a reasonable pre estimate of the loss – eg equivalent rental value of the uncompleted house . DGA can assess this
5. WHAT IS THE PROPOSED CONTRACT PERIOD ? IS IT ACHIEVABLE?
How DGA can help you: DGA offer an in house programming service
6. HAS THE ENQUIRY COME THROUGH A RECOMMENDATION ? HAVE YOU WORKED WITH THE ARCHITECT / CONSULTANT BEFORE ?
How DGA can help you: DGA can offer advice on who the consultants usually work with
7. HOW MANY CONTRACTORS ARE IN FOR THE JOB ? WHAT ARE YOUR CHANCES ? HAS THE ENQUIRY COME THROUGH GOOGLE / INTERNET ? IS IT A FISHING TRIP FOR ALTERNATIVE PRICES ?
How DGA can help you: over 4 contractors – usually not worth pricing ; less than 4 – one or two may drop out in the tender process and leave you with a better chance. We can find this information out for you.
8. IS THERE A BQ OR SCHEDULE OF WORKS ?
How DGA can help you: this will improve the chances of the tenders being received on an equal basis and also reduce the cost of tendering . If there is not a BQ we can produce one.
9. WILL THE CLIENT ACCEPT AN INITIAL BUDGET COST ? (TWO STAGE TENDER )
How DGA can help you: the cost of the initial budget will be a lot less than the cost of the full tender and may be an inexpensive way to assess whether the client is serious or not
10. POST TENDER / PRE-CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS
How DGA can help you: we can lead these on your behalf to ensure that your precious margin is not diminished or even eliminated altogether !
If you’re a contractor looking for a quantity surveyor to help with your next tender, please get in touch with us for a quote.